LeatherPenguin @ BlogSpot

THE BACKUP BLOG==<< THE REAL BLOG >>== OLD STUFF LIVES HERE

Thursday, February 12, 2004

IT'S ABOUT TIME!
This was a headline that immediately caught my eye:
Joyce's 'Ulysses' Under Fire in Centenary Year.
Joyce was a great writer, but this book, for me, was the most ridiculously overwritten thing I've ever forced myself to read in my life. A huge swath of it is incomprehensible nonsense. I always thought Joyce had written it just to see how outrageously he could blast apart the literary conventions. I usually inhale books. This monster took me three weeks to get through, and at the end I had no idea what the hell it was supposed to have imparted. At least Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow," another monster of a book which baffled me many times when that was in front of my eyes, left me with some satisfaction upon completion. Ulysses just left me stumped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home