LeatherPenguin @ BlogSpot

THE BACKUP BLOG==<< THE REAL BLOG >>== OLD STUFF LIVES HERE

Sunday, February 22, 2004

THE TWO PARTY PATROL WEIGHS IN
People likeJeff Jarvis annoy the hell outta me over Nader entering the race. OF COURSE IT'S ABOUT EGO! What rational person wants the job in the first place?

The fact that so many people are so locked into the idea that having no more than the two big parties involved is so undemocratic that I can't comprehend the viciousness that Democrats, especially those on the Left, are already beginning to rain down on Ralph. What was all that "anyone can grow up and be President" stuff I heard when I was a kid? No one ever added the caveat, "As long as you're on one of these two teams."

Back when Perot was doing his third-party schtick they loved it; when it might hurt them they hate it and want it stopped dead in its tracks. The fact is those votes are not anyone's by divine right, you gotta earn them. If Nader says things that makes someone pull the lever for him, good for him, just like if what some candidate says makes voters pull the lever for anyone but him.

Party affiliation is just a premise, not a promise. It's how the term "Reagan Democrats" got entered into the political lexicon. Get over it. I was born into a Democratic family, and pulled the trigger for Democrats regularly, sometimes mindlessly. Then I lived through the nightmare of David Dinkins. I ain't ever making that mistake again. You want my vote? You show me why you'll be better than your opponent, period. I don't care if you're running on the Screaming Psycho Party's line; convince me you're the best dog in the fight and I'm yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home